Understanding LGBT Voters
In May 2016, I released survey findings with my colleagues at Whitman Insight Strategies among LGBT voters that provides the first look at how this voting segment is engaging in the political process ahead of the November presidential election.
As the primaries for both party’s nominations come to a close, these findings suggest LGBT voters will be an important voice in this election. In fact, LGBT voters are more engaged in this election than any other demographic subgroup. The survey suggests that Republicans’ unabated attacks on the LGBT community have only further alienated this voting segment and propelled them to action. Democrats are strongly positioned not only to win LGBT voters in November, but harness their energy in races across the country.
The full polling memo can be found here.
Some press coverage of the research:
- "Survey: LGBT voters back Clinton over Trump by 4-1 margin," Washington Blade
- "Why LGBT Voters Are Rejecting Trump En Masse," The Advocate
- "Donald Trump Claims He’s Better For LGBT Americans Than Hillary Clinton," Huffington Post
- "Donald Trump Wasn’t Always Such A Defender Of The LGBT Community," Huffington Post
- "Meet the Gay Voters Backing Donald Trump, 'The Most Pro-Gay Republican Nominee Ever'," Mic
- "Trump gets mixed response with LGBT pitch," The Hill